Mar 14, 2013

My Hamsters

Hi Guys & Gals, I have a passion for animals and well I own quite a bit of them not just my hamsters but a mix of Dogs, Cats & a Rabbit. But this post is all about my 11 hamsters.

Okay so starting this year I wanted to adopt a hamster or two and I did. I ended up adopting 2 baby brother Robo's and named them Zarek & Xeno and from there I then also a week or two later adopted 2 female sister Robo's named Xena & Gabrielle, then a week later I adopted my Fancy Russian Dwarf named Adrik and then from there I was looking on Craigslist for hamsters for adoption and I saw this person was selling a male Russian Dwarf and so I adopted him and named his Pac Edik and then about the beginning of March I adopted a female Russian Dwarf who I named Mila Prudence but before I got her I adopted 2 female sister winter whites named Piper & Phoebe through a breeder and soon after the breeder still had two more of the same litter up for adoption so then I adopted Leo & Cole who is Piper & Phoebe's biological brothers. Having hamsters is easy to maintain because the cages are easy to put together and clean and stuff, the down side of having more than one hamster together in the same cage is they can end up fighting even when they are siblings sadly so this leads me to my next post I had to separate Zarek & Xeno, Piper & Phoebe and Now I just recently had to separate Cole & Leo from one another as well as Xena & Gabrielle. Your maybe wondering does hamsters smell? Well I'll tell you yes they do as any rodent they all have a natural smell to them and also to maintain the cage from smelling you must clean it every week to week in a half so you can maintain a safe clean environment for your furry little friends and also you don't want a smelly room.

How do I clean my hamsters cages & tanks? I'll walk you step by step on how I clean each..

1st. Get all the supplies you'll need a box or carrier to put your hamster in while you clean his or her cage, a water bottle filled with water, paper towels, trash bag, bedding.

2nd. Easily & Gently grab your hamster and place him or her in the box while you clean their cage

3rd. Remove all objects from your hamster cage, water bottle, food bowl, house, tubes, wheel and set them aside or in a dish pan to be soaked in warm temp water w/ soap

4th. Take the lid & sides of the cage off and set that to the side and then grab the bottom base of the cage and dump the old dirty bedding into the trash bag, make sure you get as much of it out as possible

5th. Get your water bottle and paper towels and spray the bottom base of the cage and wipe it out really well on the sides and bottom and do that until you see no yellow markings as the hamsters pee does stick, after you've done this get a fresh paper towel and dry the cage very well where it's not wet inside

6th. Now get the fresh bedding and put it in the cage or tank where it covers the complete bottom since hamsters like to burrow by nature

7th. Now while you have the fresh bedding in the cage now you want to go make sure you clean the food bowl, wheel, tubes ad house very well since they've been soaking for a while, rinse them under cool water to make sure all the soap and pee is off the wheel, bowl, tubes etc and then dry the wheel, food bowl and house very well, let the tubes try over night and then place them back in the cage "The Tubing".

8th. Now go put the cage lid and sides back on top of the bottom of the cage and after that then replace back in the cage the Wheel, Food Bowl w/ fresh food, House, and Put fresh water in the water bottle as well

9th. Now get your little furry friend and place him or her in to their clean fresh cage w/ a little bit of treat for being a good little hamster while you cleaned their cage!! I know
These steps seem like a lot of work but trust me its not really.

If you have any questions please ask and comment and do follow thanks

My next post will be about my Rabbit stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment